In case you didn’t already know, the US fluoridates its drinking water. For a more in depth look at this practice you can go to this website, or this one, or read this Harvard University study that concludes that children in communities with fluoridated water have lower IQ scores.
I have two beefs with the government putting a toxic chemical in my water.
1. They’re putting a toxic chemical in my water. This is the water I drink, bath in, wash my face with, cook my pasta, water my herbs, etc. I have absolutely no say in the matter even though it is my body they are poisoning.
2. They are disguising it as a mega health benefit, as if they are doing me the favor even though
a) The “benefits” of fluoride can only come from topical use
b) It is illegal to administer a drug to a patient without their consent. Yes, fluoride is considered a drug by the FDA. Yes, you can buy it in pill form at the pharmacy.
c) The fluoride that has been recognized for it’s health benefits is Calcium Fluoride, a natural occurring element in some spring water. The crap they are putting in my water is Sodium Fluoride, a byproduct of the fertilizer industry (how convenient) also used in rat poisoning and shown to be 85 times more toxic than Calcium Fluoride.
Fluoride also has a nasty little habit of accumulating on the pineal gland. The pineal gland (also known as the “Third Eye,” referred to by Descartes as “The principal seat of the soul”) is critical in producing melatonin (The stuff that regulates sleeping patterns and sexual development) as well as a slew of other super important functions. Even more creepy than this is that fluoride used to be prescribed as a drug to combat patients with an over-active thyroid, and it worked. The best part is that the amount that was prescribed was pretty low- about 2-5 milligrams per day over several months- which is well within the range of the amount ingested by people in fluoridated communities. Wow, and I didn’t even need a prescription! Thanks but no thanks, the last I remember my thyroid does not need to be suppressed. An under-active thyroid can lead to a whole bunch of junk including fatigue, muscle/joint pain, depression, weight gain, menstrual disturbances, impaired fertility, impaired memory, and inability to concentrate. Hmmm… sounds familiar.
And on top of everything else fluoride is found in extremely concentrated amounts in… where else but the stuff I use to brush my teeth. Obviously toothpaste is not meant to be ingested, but let’s be honest it’s nearly impossible to not swallow just a teeny bit. But in that teeny bit is probably more than I would get drinking tap water all day. Here are a few of the things that I do in order to squelch my fluoride intake:
1. I buy non-fluoridated toothpaste. I stopped using any fluoridated toothpaste about a year ago and I will never go back. It was weird at first because it’s not the chemical laden crap I was used to, but recently I used some crest at a friends house and I was so surprised at how awful it tasted. My favorite brand is Jason’s non fluoridated line. There are quite a few other brands that make natural toothpaste (Tom’s does and I’ve seen a few at Trader Joe’s) but Jason’s Sea Fresh is the best toothpaste I have ever tried. It is so fresh and pleasant and it gets all foamy, which aside from it being non toxic is probably my favorite part.
2. I don’t drink tap water because I know that my community fluoridates its water (I found out by going here and selecting my state). The thing about tap water is that fluoride is not the freakiest thing in there by far cough* Chloramine cough*. A friend of mine is currently in the process of building a distiller for me (so pumped!) Other ways of getting access to non toxic water include reverse osmosis (I really have no clue what that is), buying spring water (be weary of plastic though, there are water stores and machines where you can bring your own container), having a well, trading a kidney on the black market, and living on an iceberg.
3. Processed foods and beverages more often than not contain fluoride if water is a main ingredient (grape juice, soda, gusher’s, whatever)
I’ve spoken my piece about fluoride. I would love to hear your opinion on the matter.